Thursday, March 23, 2006

MARCH MADNESS

Thank God also for College Basketball. On modified bedrest over the last few days I have watched over forty hours of NCAA Men’s Basketball. It’s great recovery entertainment. You don’t have to think too hard, you get to watch beautiful, young, healthy bodies subject to seasoned coaching and expert strategy perform natural feats of wonder, skill, and speed. This season was especially exciting, as many of the top-seeded teams won and then lost games, in the final few minutes, or in overtime. This week, my Alma Mater, Georgetown, fell to the mighty Florida Gators.

I guess what I’m really avoiding talking about is that I met with my Gynecologist today about the biopsy results. She is recommending a “simple hysterectomy,” in other words, removing my uterus, but preserving my ovaries. She believes this will take care of the cancerous tissue and remove the most at risk organ. The part that is throwing me off is that she is adamant that I take 6 weeks off to recover afterwards, and would not recommend a laparoscopic assisted/ vaginal approach, mostly because of the difficulties she had during these first two operations “bringing the cervix down” through my narrow pelvis.

I am really miffed, and still shaking as I think about the events of the past week, the past few weeks. I am achy, although less so each day, don’t feel like I’m bouncing back like I should. She was real flippant about things, said that I should be resting and not doing much really until Monday. She recommended a second surgical opinion prior to the hysterectomy, and gave me the name of a GYN oncologist nearby, who has taken care of her own mother for uterine cancer. I told her I was going to Memorial to see a GYN ONC there.

No comments: