Saturday, May 20, 2006

HOME AND AWAY

The Yankees had an amazing 5-4 win today in 11 innings against the Mets. Mariano Rivera got his first save in a while, coming in to strike out the side in the bottom of the 11th. This follows a heartbreaking loss to the Mets, where just last night, Rivera came in with the game tied and gave up the winning run in the bottom of the ninth. Which just goes to show you, anything can happen.

The Yankees have been hampered with injury this spring, just this week getting bad news about Carl Pavano, Shaun Chacon, and Tanyon Sturtze, all pitchers in what’s turning out to be a fairly meager pen. This added to a hand injury to right fielder Gary Sheffield, and a broken wrist on left fielder Hidecki Matsui. Just before yesterday’s game, manager Joe Torre added backup outfielder Bubba Crosby to the disabled list for a hamstring strain.

Former Ace pitcher Randy Johnson continued to struggle through his fifth straight horrible start last night. I was intrigued for a moment, before the start of the bottom of the second inning, after Johnson had warmed up, that catcher Jorge Posada stood from his catcher’s crouch, walked into the dugout and took himself out of the game. Recently, Posada had gotten some clutch hits, including a walk-off homer in the bottom of the ninth to win against the Texas Rangers 14-13. It is well known that throughout his career, Randy Johnson has preferred pitching to one catcher over another, and that Posada was never one of his favorites. Did Johnson ask for the change? Is he in any position to ask for such a favor? Did Posada tuck his ego under so early in the game to help a struggling Johnson or was Johnson just not listening to him, not hitting his targets, shaking off his signs, and Jorge just got fed up? Did Posada hit the bench for himself, or for the team?

These were the questions I asked myself, having grown up during the Yankees “Bronx Zoo” era, when egos loomed large, and personalities clashed in concert with on the field struggles and triumphs. No doubt the vignette held additional interest to me, considering my own experience at work yesterday morning.

I hit the office early, dressed to the nines, ready for action, ready to attend to any work that had piled up on my desk, then make some rounds. Two full weeks out from my surgery, I thought taking call this weekend, with a pretty low census (if any) in the hospital, and no major cases slated for Friday, our usual operating day, may be a nice way to ease into things, feel like I’m doing something, without spending hours on my feet in the OR.

The boss thought differently. When I called him to get the list of patients he would want me to see in the hospital this weekend, lets just say he “shook off the sign.” He said, not in so many words, “Look, M, I’ve been talking to some people, and I just don’t feel comfortable with you coming back this soon. Two weeks is too early. I’ve talked to GYN’s who do this operation and women who have had this operation and some people are out 8-9 weeks. I understand you aren’t even driving yet… I just don’t think I can take the chance of having you come back too soon…you’re a surgeon, you know what can happen, you can get an infection, herniate, bleed. I’m just not comfortable. It’s too soon. Take another week. See your doctor, get a note from him that says when it’s OK for you to come back, then maybe I’ll be more comfortable. Right now, I just would feel horrible if anything should happen to you.”

I don’t know if it was being shocked, embarrassed, or stupid, that I had no response, defense, or retort to his argument. I wanted to say I’ve been busting my ass to get well so quickly, to have as little effect on my productivity, our practice, and our patients as possible. I wanted him to know that one of the reasons I had my surgery in the city with Dr. A, was because he believed he could get me back to work in less than half the time predicted by my original GYN. I wanted to cry didn’t he realize I’ve used up all my vacation time and can’t afford to take any more time off. I wanted to sing, “Oh, put me in coach. I’m ready to play—today!

But I didn’t. I just acquiesced, saying of course I didn’t want to do anything that would make him uncomfortable or put him in a difficult position. I packed up my things, called my husband to pick me up, and went home. I called my doctor’s office to see if I could get a note that would clear me for work on Monday, but they balked and advised me to wait until my post-op visit next week to discuss it with Dr. A. I changed out of my suit and into sweatpants. I surfed the internet to bone up on short term disability benefits in New York State. I slid into a deep, deep funk. After Posada left the game, I went upstairs to listen to the rest of the game in bed, and slammed the off button on my clock-radio when Rivera gave up the losing run in the ninth.

The official story is that Posada is out with back spasms, and I’m starting to believe it, because he sat out today’s game, too. With both teams hurting, it will be interesting to see which of us will get to come back to work first.

No comments: