Thursday, April 06, 2006

POST OP VISIT

Did a few colonoscopies this morning. Feeling a little stronger each day. And it felt nice to see some of my hospital friends…nurses, techs. They all wanted me to know how worried they were while I was out, and how good it was to see me again. No patients to see in the hospital, so I went home and took a nap until it was time to head to the office.

After work I had an appointment with my GYN. She seemed warmer now, more relaxed. I told her about my second opinion visit at Memorial and how I was planning to have the surgery with them. She didn’t seem too offended, and said she understood that it was worth a try to go someplace where they would at least try to do it laparoscopically. She warned that I should try to get an early time, and explained to my husband how important it was to have a big operation like that early in the morning when the surgeon and staff are rested and fresh.

I asked her if she would still be my gynecologist afterwards. She said of course, although there wouldn’t be all that much to do until my ovaries are ready to check out. My husband asked the burning question, “Can we have sex?” and after he got over the embarrassment of making sure my doctor didn’t think he was including her in the equation he got the thumbs down sign. “ I don’t think she’s ready yet,” she said. “I still see a little bleeding.”

She gave me a hug and wished me luck. She revealed that she was going to be away the weekend of my surgery. At an all-inclusive singles club in Turks and Caincos, or somewhere warm. My husband thought of setting her up with my brother, the only other person he knew with the confidence to go on vacation alone.

We took the kids out to dinner—Chinese food. I stopped to pick up some thank you gifts for the nurses at the hospital on the way home.

No comments: